Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Twilight Saga Ends


Twilight Saga Ends

Thrusday night I went to see this last and possibly final installment in the Twilight Saga, Breaking Dawn Part 2. Did I like the movie? That is up for debate. I liked the books and the last book Breaking Dawn was my favorite of the four. I think I expected more and I got the same as before. Even after all these years I still believe that the first movie was the best. It was dark and gritty thanks to director Catherine Hardwicke. Sure it was a teen movie full of angst, self loathing and indecision but that's exactly what its supposed to be. Now the entire shooting style is different. It's like some glitzy fairytale. It was almost like I was watching a cartoon. No seriously everything looked computer generated. CGI may well be our downfall. I found this extremely distracting from the story and after all the story is what made the movies popular. I am not a gender bias person but I truly believe a woman should have directed the last four movies. A woman wrote the books. The male perspective was odd, too much romance for the girls and too much action for the boys. It was like they were catering to the prospective audience instead of holding true to author Stephenie Meyers novels. I know its hard to have a clear vision when the studio producers and executives are breathing down your neck but I just wish the plan ole Shakespearean view from the books was conveyed in this movie.

As for Kristen Stewart's performance, she was exactly the same as she had been in the other movies. HELLO, you're a vampire now. You should act different. Where was that method actor hat? If you watch the TV show The Vampire Diaries it's like watching an entirely new character when you see Nina Dobrev (Elena) as a newborn vampire. Now I honestly didn't expect Kristen Stewart to give an Oscar winning performance but I kind of hoped for just a teeny bit more. Robert Pattinson was pale and great. He didn't have to change at all. He just needed to act the same way he did in the previous films and how hard could that be. Taylor Lauter was dark and awesome. He was the stand out for me. Plus he took his shirt off. The little half vampire half human girl was adorable, much too cute to be the kid of Edward and Bella. Renesmee looked like she could be the offspring of Victoria and David Beckham. Ashley Greene was great as Alice and I believe that she should be cast as Anastasia Steele in the upcoming FIFTY SHADES OF GREY movies. Hope E.L. James is considering her.  

Of course the movie wasn't terrible although I noticed there was barely any dialogue. There were a lot of unnecessary close-ups. The end was exciting, people cheered during the fight scene. I'm not going to lie. I'm glad it's over. It's time for some new vampire blood. This franchise is a cliche like so many other movies that are made from books. Everyone who read the books will always say "ya know the books were better than the movies". I am definitively one of those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment